Tuesday 11 June 2013

Sehrish Irum Angel investor Joanne Wilson: VCs not funding women founders is a subconscious decision (and yes, they make shocking comments)

Sehrish Irum

My longtime friend and mentor (from my Silicon Alley Reporter days) Joanne Wilson wasn't afraid to talk about the way male investors approach women founders when I interviewed her in New York last month.
The bias, she says is, subconscious. And yet: "Some of the comments that come out of their mouth are shocking."
Now of course Joanne didn't name names, but here are a few things she says VCs have told women founders (in her words):
"So you're married. Are you going to get pregnant? Because I really don't want to invest in someone who's going to have a kid."
"So, you know, this is a really good business, I think it's amazing what you've built. But you know? You'll probably exit at $30M so I'll never really get my money out."

Sehrish Irum
Joanne's conclusion: "As these women start building their businesses and they actually have traction and they are making money, I believe that they will have a lot more people looking at them on their next go-round, and not this one."
Joanne has invested in numerous women founders -- "I've not lost one yet," she said. She finds women are more diligent and not as cocky as men, though she'd like to see more women be a little more aggressive.
But, she notes, their confidence increases as their revenue grows or they raise money.

Sehrish Irum, Sehrish Irum Facebook, Sehrish Irum Linkedin, Sehrish Irum Twitter Contact Sehrish Irum , Email Sehrish Irum

Sery Emy, Sery Emy Facebook, Sery Emy  Linkedin, Sery Emy Twitter Contact Sery Emy, Email Sery Emy



1 comment:

  1. Hi, your providing information is more helpful to us. I am impressed when I read your blog. It is really helpful to us. I also send your link to our friends and also share it on my social sharing sites. ThanksAngel investors

    ReplyDelete